Thursday, May 19, 2011

He Startles Me Sometimes

My son is a total chatterbox at home. He starts talking the second he wakes up and doesn't stop until he falls asleep at night and sometimes he even talks in his sleep. He doesn't talk about much but toys or video games or stuff he wants to do though. It's hard to get anything out of him of a serious nature. It's even a struggle sometimes to get out of him what happened at school that day although he has improved in that area. Anyway, today at school they cleaned out their desks since they can't take their backpacks next week as it's the last week. Tonight before he went to bed he went over all the stuff in his backpack with me--at his request, amazingly enough. I was reading some of the stuff in his journal and wanted to share it. It's not earth-shattering writing or anything but it's stuff that does a mother's heart good. I left his writing exactly as it was so there are a few spelling errors.

At the beginning of school they had to do a "Me Bag" where they put three things in that are important to them. Then they had to write about it in their journal and share what they wrote with the class. He showed me what he put in it when he did it but when I asked him if he had shared it he just said yes and wouldn't say more. I was a little concerned about the 3rd one which was a major reason I wanted to know but I just let it go. Tonight I got to read what he shared. The first one is about a toy but the second two I thought were really special:

I will tell you about 3 things that are important to me inside the bag. Bakugan, my family and St. Jude.

The first thing is Bakugan. They are important to me because I collect them. This one is black as the night sky. When you put it on the card click it opens.

The next important thing is my family. They are important because I live with them and they feed and take care of me. I would be confused without them. I really love my family.

The third thing is St. Jude. He is important because my parents believe I would not be alive without him. I brought a prayer card of him. The prayer card I brought was made by my mom.

Overall these 3 things are important to me.

I'm not sure when this poem was done. I'm guessing Veteran's Day.

Life and death do not matter when you serve your country.
Injured yourself for us.
Battles are nothing compared to the love of your country.
Everyone appreciates you.
Respect for you.
The love for your country is important.
Your love for your country is important.

I got a kick out of this one. Again not sure when he wrote it. "I love being an only child because no one can break my collectables and fragile toys." LOL

This next one must have been written when he was hungry. The spelling errors are not typos. :)

In this story I will tell you about my favorite food, pizza. My favorite food is pizza. I prefere my parents  pizza. The toppings I like are pepporoni and sausage. sometimes I get pizza at restaurants too. Overall pizza is the best food.

I think this one was probably written around Thanksgiving time.

In this story I will tell you what I am thankful for.

I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for them because they love me. I am thankful for them because they spend time with me. That is what I am thankful for them.

I am also thankful for video games because they keep me entertained. I am thankful for them because they give me something to do. They also give me something to do when I'm board. That is why I am thankful for them.

I am also thankful for computers because they help me with research. They also keep me entertained. This is why I am thankful.

Overall this is what I am thankful for.

On February 8 he wrote, "My mom is someone I admire because she takes care of me."

On February 9 he wrote, "The things that make a good friend are being nice, being friendly and being a good person.

I was a little startled to read his stuff. He doesn't like to write at all. He doesn't like the physical act of writing at all and he doesn't like having to come up with stories for writing prompts but he does pretty well with it, in my opinion. He is a little stuck on the word "overall" though. LOL

He also brought home some artwork that he did in science class that he wants to share with all my Facebook friends. He told me that he will take pictures of it on his DSi for me this weekend so I can share it with you.

So that's what's going on in our corner of the world. That and John and I celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary tomorrow. Hope everyone has had a great week and will have a great weekend.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I have a few things that I wrote when I was younger and I look back at them now and laugh at how different my life is now and how much more simple it was as a kid.

Wilma said...

I have a couple examples of poetry I wrote when I was younger. One of the few things I still have because it was in a notebook that lived in a drawer so it didn't go anywhere. I'll have to pull it out over the weekend. There's one in there I think you'd like that I wrote when I was in 7th grade. LOL

MsCaroline said...

Love the part about the prayer card - choked me up! Also liked what I thought of as 'ode to pizza' - could have been written by Sutton! These are precious - they will be really special to look back on when he's older (not that they're not special now - you know what I mean)!

Wilma said...

I know what you mean. I thought they were pretty cool myself. "Ode to Pizza" is a good title for that. LOL