Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The First 12-Hour Shift

John's new schedule started last night. Tonight is his first 12-hour on it. I think the jury is still out on how well it's going to work with just two drivers. They are much busier with the later start and the new hit 15 miles beyond the farthest one they had added into the mix. To quote him they're "runnin' and gunnin'" the whole shift. Quite a change from having nothing to do for the first two hours and then having so much down time that he was able to come home two other times during the shift most nights. It's going to be really strange for me too. He was working overnights for awhile a few months back from 11PM-7AM two nights a week and that was really strange. Now he has three nights where he won't be home until 5AM or 4AM. It's very strange for me when he's not here. It will take me a little while to get used to sleeping without him here. We've been married almost 22 years and minus the weeks I've spent in the hospital over the years we've only been apart the 4 nights when I went to Pennsylvania for my uncle's funeral in 1998. Before Sean went to bed tonight he told me, "Mom, do NOT wait up for Dad. He won't be here until the morning so that would be silly." The boy knows me too well. LOL

No comments: