Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Pleasant Unexpected Day With My Son

How pathetic is it that when your son wakes up in the morning and neither pair of his jeans fit he has to stay home from school as that is all he has to wear except a ratty pair of sweats? Anyway............That is what happened in our corner of the world today. It actually turned out to be quite a wonderful day. I had him put on said ratty sweats and we headed out the door and let Dad sleep since he had just gotten home from work at 4:30AM and only had about an hour and a half worth of sleep. This is the first time it's just been Sean and I out and about in a long time. Usually he goes with his dad or we all go.

So, we started at Target. We were able to get him two new pair of jeans. My little baby now wears a 32x30 in men's jeans. Of course, the legs are rolled up quite a bit but still...........no more little boy. All of his clothes are from the men's department now. After we paid for them I had him go and change into them so he didn't look like a ragamuffin. We then went to Toys 'R' Overpriced down the street. He was excited to show me the new reset they're doing and we chatted with one of his friends for awhile--the assistant manager. LOL He showed me a plush Lego man he's been wanting but I had him wait in case he found something later in the day. I told him that we could come back and get him if he didn't. So, onward and upwards to the Dinosaur McDonald's for an inexpensive lunch off their value menu. It was quite an enjoyable lunch just sitting and chatting about nothing. That isn't something that happens too often with Sean. After we ate he wanted to hike over to the Target there. I should have said no because since their nursery section is closed we have to go all the way around to the front now. Anyway, we went and had fun poking around in there for awhile. I bought him some colored pencils since he's been needing them and also some fancy Japanese erasers that he collects for some odd reason. After that we had the return hike to the car. Off to Walgreen's to pick up a few things which didn't take long. Then it was forward ho to the mall. (Have I ever mentioned that I can't stand shopping in general and malls in particular?) When we started heading to the mall from the parking lot my lovely left hip decided it didn't want to cooperate and almost dropped me on the ground. That was fun. I have a great son though. He asked if I was okay and when I said it was just my hip acting stupid he put my arm over his shoulders and said we can go slower. He wanted to go to Hot Topic because he had seen an Annoying Orange shirt that he wanted. They are extremely expensive there but we had promised him he could get one new shirt from there. Of course, there was only one left and it was too small. However, Kevin, the nice salesman, ordered it for us and it should be in in just a few days, probably Wednesday of next week. He had fun showing me all of the Gir stuff they have and was pleased to see that they will soon be moving directly across the way to a slightly larger store. After we left Hot Topic he wanted to go to Game Daze. That store is beyond my abilities at the best of times but I went because we were having so much fun looking at stuff and laughing together. We walked in and one of their extremely over-hot lights burst--probably at me darkening the doorstep. LOL Sean started fiddling with something but I couldn't last too long in there so I warned him that there was only about five minutes left before I get how I get. Luckily, he put down whatever it was and left because he didn't want to ruin our nice day. When we left from there we looked at the time and realized that it was already 1:00 so we had to be wrapping it up pretty soon. Out to the car and back down the street to Toys 'R' Overpriced for Mr. Lego Man since he hadn't found anything major anywhere else. Then it was time to wrap up our outing and head home. I was sorry to see the day end. We had so much fun together and he actually said we should go out together more often. He usually prefers to go out with his dad since he and I have a lot of time just the two of us at home while John is at work but I think maybe he realized today that time out together is different than time at home together. Also, it was nice for me to see that while he may be a man as far as the clothing companies are concerned, he's still a little boy. He was holding my hand the whole time when we were walking and he even put his arm around me a few times. It was great having him do that.

Our arrival at home was perfectly timed as well. John woke up at 1:40 and he heard us start across the gravel at 1:43. Also, since school doesn't dismiss until 2:32 Sean had some extra time with his dad before the shower hour. It was win-win all the way around.

The evening so far has continued to be wonderful as well. I have just been invited to play Ninjago with him in a little while. I told him I would give it a try but I don't know how I will be for floor-sitting today (stupid hip) and he actually didn't even pull a face. Hopefully this mood continues. I love peace and tranquillity.

I hope everyone else had a wonderful day as well.

1 comment:

Katie said...

not sure where to put this or to respond to your comment but yes thru email i would be interested in your story. my email is kempie24@gmail.com